I was thinking today that at 42 do I really know anymore then I knew at 21. I was thinking this because Lena turned 21 last month and I think Lena is a mature 21 and has a good idea of what people are all about, I can’t remember having that at 21. After all I celebrated my 21st birthday at home breastfeeding Lena while my husband was out getting drunk with his friends. My 21st birthday was also the only time I’ve ever had to convince myself that my friend’s husband was just joking when he made a pass at me. Yeah 21 and pretty dumb.
So at 42 am I any smarter? I don’t know…heres what I think I know at 42 that I didn’t know at 21…
- Someone telling you they love you doesn’t mean anything, someone showing you they love you means everything.
- Telling people how you feel isn’t always the best thing to do. Especially if you are expecting them to love you anyway.
- There is more to being a mother then giving birth.
- What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger.
- Pregnancy isn’t something to be taken for granted, getting pregnant is a gift, having a healthy baby is not a guarantee.
- Burying a child is something you “never get over”.
- What God doesn’t give you in a family he can make up for in friends.
- God is good!
- Money doesn’t make you happy.
- Paying a car off feels really good.
- Being fat sucks, being on a diet sucks.
- I hate exercise.
- Forgiveness is the best gift you can give yourself.
- The easiest way to get over a heartache is not to get even, but to live well.
- Faith is believing what we can’t see.
- Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian anymore then going to McDonalds makes you a Big Mac.
- Happy Birthday sang in Japaness is really funny, it being done in a restraunt makes you want to climb under the table.
I am looking forward to my 42nd year….imagine what I’ll know in another 21…..